05/06/2015

and this is why you will fail in having a great career



"I have a dream."

"Go for it, kid. JUST LIKE I DID." 

T____T 
damn!

premis dari TED Talk Larry Smith ini sebenarnya simpel: kebanyakan orang akan gagal meraih pekerjaan atau karir yang hebat karena mereka takut mengikuti passion mereka. padahal kunci dari punya karir yang hebat hanyalah dengan mengejar passion dan mimpi sendiri.

tapi, kebanyakan orang nggak mau melakukannya; entah karena takut, entah karena males, seperti yang dia bilang dalam presentasinya:


I'm not quite sure why you decide not to do it. You're too lazy to do it. It's too hard. You're afraid if you look for your passion and don't find it, you'll feel like you're an idiot, so then you make excuses about why you're not going to look for your passion.

You're going to fail, because -- because you're not going to do it, because you will have invented a new excuse, any excuse to fail to take action, and this excuse, I've heard so many times: "Yes, I would pursue a great career, but, I value human relationships -- more than accomplishment. I want to be a great friend. I want to be a great spouse. I want to be a great parent, and I will not sacrifice them on the altar of great accomplishment."

menurut dia, orang nggak mencari tau apa passion mereka karena mereka belum pernah meRASAkannya. karena belum pernah tau rasanya bangun pagi dan merasa gembira berangkat kerja. obviously, we don't know what we're missing.

Smith lantas semacam 'meluruskan' persepsi kita terkait passion yang menurutnya kurang tepat, seperti:
- merasa tertarik pada sesuatu itu berbeda dengan merasakan passion.
"Passion is beyond interest."
"Passion is your greatest love. Passion is the thing that will help you create the highest expression of your talent. Passion, interest -- it's not the same thing. Are you really going to go to your sweetie and say, "Marry me! You're interesting." Won't happen. Won't happen, and you will die alone.
What you want,
what you want, what you want, is passion. It is beyond interest. You need 20 interests, and then one of them, one of them might grab you, one of them might engage you more than anything else, and then you may have found your greatest love, in comparison to all the other things that interest you, and that's what passion is."

-  kita mungkin punya - dan sebaiknya punya - lebih dari satu passion.
kenapa? karena ada hal yang menjadi passion kita tapi nggak memungkinkan bagi kita untuk berkarir di situ. misalnya passion kita adalah main golf, maka tentunya nggak apa-apa kalau kita mau main golf kapanpun kita bisa. kita bisa meraih kepuasan dari situ, dan mungkin itu cukup.
tapi, kalau kita butuh menghidupi diri dari pekerjaan kita, ya carilah passion lain. jangan cari regular job dan berharap bisa main golf saat weekend supaya kita bisa 'survive' menjalani weekdays. menurut dia, "Living for the weekend is a grisly thing. I have trouble imagining a life in which you live for the weekend: two of seven days you have a life and the other five days you wait to have a life."

- "Passion is essential but it is not sufficient."

apa untuk menjadi leader yang hebat kita perlu punya passion?
passion itu penting dimiliki seorang leader, tetapi passion doang nggak cukup. ada leader yang bisa menginspirasi bawahannya jadi berkinerja lebih baik. tapiii, passion semata nggak bisa membuat kita jadi "hero." bayangin kalo kita bisa mengoceh tentang sesuatu hal dengan penuh passion, tapi nggak bisa mendengarkan orang lain?
hanya karena kita punya passion terhadap sebuah goal, nggak berarti strategi kita untuk mencapai goal itu pasti benar. leader yang hebat itu yang bisa bisa mendengarkan dan mengambil tindakan dari apa yang mereka dengar.

lalu bagaimana cara menemukan passion kita?

“People find their passion by immersing themselves in the human experience.”


Get out doors. Do it all. Talk to as many different people as you can. Read as much different stuff as you can. Go out and see things—industrial tours, museums, walk on the street and look at what you see. Plug yourself into the whole array of human experiences. Don’t do one of them. Do all of them. And if you do, how can you not find something that you can’t stop thinking about? Read things outside of a narrow band of books, talk to people outside of a narrow band of a few friends.

lastly, ini bagian yang paling menampar gue. Smith bicara tentang gimana beberapa orang menggunakan faktor keluarga dan anak sebagai tameng. ya, tameng untuk melindungi diri mereka jika suatu saat ditanya "kenapa lo nggak punya karir yang hebat?"
atau dalam kasus gue, jika ditanya "why did you give up your career?" pertanyaan yang gue juga masih berjuang untuk bisa jawab.
simaklah penjelasannya di sini, tentang kenapa kita seharusnya nggak menggunakan alasan keluarga untuk nggak mengejar passion.


You know what will happen someday, you ideal parent, you? The kid will come to you someday and say, "I know what I want to be. I know what I'm going to do with my life." You are so happy. It's the conversation a parent wants to hear, because your kid's good in math, and you know you're going to like what comes next. Says your kid, "I have decided I want to be a magician. I want to perform magic tricks on the stage."
And what do you say? You say, you say, "That's risky, kid. Might fail, kid. Don't make a lot of money at that, kid. I don't know, kid, you should think about that again, kid. You're so good at math, why don't you --"
The kid interrupts you and says,
"But it is my dream. It is my dream to do this."
And what are you going to say?

You know what you're going to say? "Look kid. I had a dream once, too, but -- But --"
So how are you going to finish the sentence with your "but"?
"But. I had a dream too, once, kid, but I was afraid to pursue it."
Or are you going to tell him this: "I had a dream once, kid. But then, you were born."
Do you really want to use your family, do you really ever want to look at your spouse and your kid, and see your jailers?
There was something you could have said to your kid, when he or she said, "I have a dream."
You could have said -- looked the kid in the face and said, "Go for it, kid! Just like I did."
But you won't be able to say that, because you didn't. So you can't.

You're afraid to pursue your passion. You're afraid to look ridiculous. You're afraid to try. You're afraid you may fail. Great friend, great spouse, great parent, great career. Is that not a package? Is that not who you are? How can you be one without the other? But you're afraid.

And that's why you're not going to have a great career. Unless -- "unless," that most evocative of all English words -- "unless." But the "unless" word is also attached to that other, most terrifying phrase, "If only I had ..." "If only I had ..." If you ever have that thought ricocheting in your brain, it will hurt a lot.
So, those are the many reasons why you are going to fail to have a great career. Unless --
Unless.

again... damn!
gue merasa seperti baru dibukakan tabir dari the greatest magic trick on earth.
now i know why i DO need to pursue my passion. karena gue ingin bisa ngasih tau hal yang sama pada anak gue kelak. bahwa dia perlu mengejar passion-nya, bahwa dia perlu mewujudkan mimpi-mimpinya. dan hal itu bisa dia capai, hal itu LAYAK untuk dicapai, karena gue telah membuktikannya sendiri.
sehingga di akhir perjalanan gue kelak, gue nggak akan menemukan diri gue bertanya-tanya "WHAT IF?" atau "If only I had..." seperti yang Smith katakan. i think it's worth giving my best efforts to.

referensi dari sini


No comments:

Post a Comment